Google has yet again raised the bar in the world of smartphones with its latest offerings, the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro. Packed with innovative features that leverage cutting-edge AI technology, and a design that’s both elegant and functional, the Pixel 8 Pro marks a significant leap forward in the Pixel lineup. Let’s see what makes this phone stand out!
Design and Build
The Pixel 8 Pro takes it up a notch with its 6.7-inch Super Actua display, Google’s brightest yet. This ensures that Ultra HDR images look incredibly true-to-life, even under direct sunlight. Its matte glass back and polished aluminum frame exude luxury, but soft colors (Porcelain, Bay, and Obsidian) provide a casual balance.
The use of recycled materials not only contributes to their polished look but also reflects Google’s commitment to sustainability.
Google’s Pixel series has always been celebrated for its camera prowess, and the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro are no exceptions. They bring substantial improvements to the table, setting new benchmarks in mobile photography.
The Pixel 8 Pro, in particular, boasts a more powerful main camera, delivering exceptional low-light performance. Its ultrawide lens now offers enhanced Macro Focus, while the telephoto lens captures 56% more light, offering 10x optical quality zoom. Additionally, the front-facing camera with autofocus ensures your selfies are always crisp and clear.
The camera app has been revamped for intuitive use, with Pro Controls on the Pixel 8 Pro, allowing for greater creative freedom. The Best Take feature uses an on-device algorithm to create a perfect group shot by combining elements from multiple photos. For editing enthusiasts, Magic Editor in Google Photos uses generative AI for creative photo enhancements, and the Audio Magic Eraser helps reduce unwanted background noise in videos.
Performance and Software
The heart of the new Pixels’ performance is the Google Tensor G3 chip, which brings remarkable efficiency and power to these devices.
- Tensor G3 Chip: This new chip offers advanced machine learning capabilities, enhancing every aspect of the phone’s performance from photography to battery life. Coupled with Android 14, the Pixel 8 Pro series promises a smooth, responsive, and intelligent user experience.
- Software Mastery: Android 14 on these devices introduces numerous improvements, including enhanced lock screen customization and a more capable system share menu. The Summarize feature, a standout addition, uses AI to quickly provide summaries of webpages, adding convenience to browsing.
- Unprecedented Software Support: In a move that sets a new industry standard, Google promises an impressive seven years of software support for the Pixel 8 series, including OS upgrades and security updates. This commitment not only ensures longevity for the device but also peace of mind for the users.
- Temperature Sensor: Exclusive to the Pixel 8 Pro, the new temperature sensor allows for quick temperature readings of various objects. This feature is especially handy for practical scenarios like checking if a pan is hot enough for cooking or ensuring a baby’s bottle is at the right temperature. Google’s application to the FDA to enable body temperature readings through this sensor hints at future health-related capabilities.
- Pro Camera Controls: For photography enthusiasts, the Pixel 8 Pro offers Pro Controls within the Camera app. This feature provides granular control over settings like shutter speed, ISO, and more, empowering users to take their photography skills to the next level.
- AI-Powered Convenience: The Summarize tool is a testament to Google’s advancements in AI, offering quick summaries of webpages for faster information consumption. The integration of advanced AI not only makes the device smarter but also more intuitive and user-friendly.
Beyond the specs and features, the real test of a smartphone is in the day-to-day user experience, and here, the Pixel 8 series excels.
- Seamless Setup: Transitioning to the Pixel 8 from an older Pixel model is a breeze, thanks to the straightforward data and settings transfer process. This ease of setup is a small but significant detail that enhances the overall user experience.
- Enhanced Security and Accessibility: With the improved Face Unlock feature, which now meets Android’s highest biometric class, accessing banking and payment apps like Google Wallet is more secure and convenient. The fingerprint sensor also continues to provide a reliable alternative for device unlocking.
- Battery Life and Charging: The Pixel 8 Pro, with its 5050 mAh battery, delivers solid battery performance, comfortably lasting through a day of typical use. While not groundbreaking, the battery life is reliable and consistent, aligning with current flagship standards.
- Odds & End: There are also some oddities included with the Pixel 8 Pro that you may never use, for example, the Temperature Sensor. We’re not exactly sure WHY Google decided to go the extra distance to incorporate this hardware, but we’re guessing it has something to do with planning the development during COVID… and if that’s the case, hopefully we don’t have a reason to suddenly using the Pixel 8 Pro temperature sensor every day!